Sunday, March 13, 2011

Something from Nothing

Do you remember being a kid with a box of crayons and a blank sheet of paper?  I remember often struggling to know what to draw.  The possibilities were limitless.  Choice was a challenge, but I loved the power to create, to make something where nothing was before.

Today I was thinking about words, the way we use them, and the way that words also create.  I know that's a stretch, so let me try and explain.  In Genesis, God spoke, and creation was born.  Our words don't create in quite the same way, which is probably a good thing!  When we choose to speak, we make a choice regarding the kinds of words we will use.  Kind words will help nurture a relationship.  Cruel words will tear down.  Silence is another option.  The words, or lack of, we choose influence our relationships and situation and contribute to creating what exists.  Just as we choose what crayon we will pull from the box, we choose how and when to enter a situation with our words.  Just as we imagine the possibilities for a sheet of paper, there are possibilities for the words we use.

Today I created with my words.  I created placess where I believe my words were loving and encouraging.  Today I created with my silence.  I held back at times when I did not believe my words would be helpful.  Today I hope I held back words that would be cruel.

Looking back into history, there are times I wish I would have spoken and times I wish I would have remained silent.  There are truths left unspoken and hard words that should have been held.  But the beautiful element of this art is that is it always evolving.  Each day we have the opportunity to create with our words, to take the picture we worked on previously and make it more beautiful, deeper, and richer.  And we have the opportunity to pick up drawings that have been set aside for time to heal and enter in once again.

Lord, may my words be words of love that encourage, heal, and bring glory to your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment